How sweet it is to be greeted by your puppy’s kisses every time you walk in your door from long hours of work.
There are times when their breath stinks and they quickly need a mint. Mints help freshen up the breath of your pet. But you need the best dental chews for dogs for your little one.
Best Dental Chews for Dogs
At a Glance at the Best Dental Chews for Dogs
Here are the best options you may consider on your search for the right dental chew for your pet:
Best Dental Chews For Dogs See Amazon.com for best selection and value. #commissionsearned
But before you actually get a dental chew for your dog, there are factors you need to consider.
Dental Hygiene for Dogs
Some pet owners are not aware of the necessity of oral hygiene for their teeth’s protection and stay healthy. There are also those who abstain from this practice noting that tooth-brushing is none existent in wild animals such as coyotes, wolves, and any other canines.
Failure to do the hygiene practice actually results in some diseases. This can even lead to inappetence, starvation, and pain. It’s significant to know that domestic pets live longer compared to the wild-roaming ones.
Their elongated lifespan indicates that their teeth may have to last twice or thrice, same as those of the wild canids.
Oral health for your pet is critical and maintaining his good oral health is a must otherwise, he will have missing or broken teeth.
There are several issues you have to be wary like organ damage and gum disease when any bacteria enter the blood through his unhealthy gums.
Oral Health Basics for Dogs
Most veterinarians suggest pet owners brush the teeth of their pets and see the veterinarian for regular periodontal examinations. This will help prevent common dental problems of dogs. It’s a common and simple practice even enjoyed by dogs.
There are also those who hate it as they bare their nip or teeth at the hand of their owners. This leads them to the vet for their regular cleaning sessions.
They may require general anesthesia or sedation for the whole procedure. This can be risky, stressful, time-consuming, and expensive though.
Dog Chews: Choosing the Best
Since brushing your dog’s teeth can be unpleasant for you and your pet, it would be great to consider its modern alternatives.
Dental chews can be the smartest option for disease prevention other than making your pet happy and active. They make sure that he will have fresh breath and complete oral hygiene.
There are actually a lot of them for you to choose from, which is why you have to select one appropriate for the breed of your puppy. So to help you out with this, you may consider the following factors:
- Type of chew (synthetic or natural) – Pet stores could give you a wide selection of dental chews categorized into natural and synthetic. It would be easy for dogs to get into their habit of chewing natural chews as they are used to their texture, taste, and smell. There’s a natural-based value in these chews. Meanwhile, synthetic chews are cleaner and less expensive than natural ones.
- Quality – Know the quality of the chew that you are about to buy. It’s good to check the contents of the product to ensure it’s the best for your dog.
- Benefits – While one chew can be effective to some, there are also those with side effects. Learn how your pet can benefit from a certain product.
- Pros and Cons – Narrow down the advantages and disadvantages of your dog due to the wide variety of the chews available in the market.
- Contents – Read the label of the chew you opt to purchase to prevent the items which may only cause allergic reactions to your pet.
- Availability – Check the availability of your preferred chew for future purchases.
- Veterinarian Consultation – Veterinarians may provide you with the best advice on the right chew for your pet as they made some examinations for the dogs they’re handling.
Before Giving Dental Treats
Always have fresh drinking water every time you give a chew to your dog. Monitor him and never leave him all alone while eating the chew. There’s a tendency for him to be choked when biting a huge chunk of it. This may only cause him any harm.
Now, let’s get into details…
Dog Dental Chews: Reviews
Since there are now a lot of dental chews available in the market, it would be wise to narrow down the best ones and choose. You may include one or more in the following list.
1. Pedigree’s Dentastix Triple Action Dog Chews
With its original flavors, dogs cannot resist, Pedigree’s Dentastix dog treats will take care of your pet’s bad breath. Their distinctive X-shape design and chewy texture are already proven to be effective in preventing the tartar and buildup of your pet.
He will truly enjoy these Halloween-like candies that also promote oral health. The maximum effectiveness of the treats is apparent in giving him a pearly white smile.
It’s advisable feeding your pet with these chews daily for maximum benefits. Huge adults should receive one treat a day. This may not be good for puppies or dogs weighing 30 pounds and below.