In the realm of dogs, feelings of separation anxiety or boredom are a genuine concern. Having a packed agenda could drive your dog crazy.
And you definitely wouldn’t want your dog engaging in destructive activities like chewing on your Monolos or your golf bag while you are away.
Enters dog puzzle toys. Recommended by dog behaviorists, these are not just any toys. These colorful attractive things are mental stimulators.
They work wonders by keeping your fur babies intrigued and well-engaged. Getting a good puzzle toy for your dog is not a hard slog.
But there are a lot of strings attached to buying one, such as the material used, difficulty level, engaging colors, price, brand, and so much more.
Phew! It may not be hard but is time-consuming fur-sure.
If you have a bored dog at home and are on the hunt for the perfect toy, let’s just say your hunt is over.
We searched for and reviewed the 9 best dog puzzle toys so that making a choice for you becomes a piece of cake.
And our favorite? It will be the Outward Hound Nina Ottosson Dog Puzzle Toy.
9 Best Dog Puzzle Toys That Are Boredom Busters – 2023 Reviewed
Here is a quick glance over our list of recommended dog puzzle toys:
- Outward Hound Nina Ottosson Dog Puzzle Toy – Best Seller
- TRIXIE Dog Activity Flip Board Dog Puzzle – Intriguing Design
- JW Hol-ee Roller Dog Puzzle Ball – Finest Quality
- WEST PAW Zogoflex Qwizl Dog Puzzle Toy – Multifunctional
- Pet Zone IQ Treat And Dog Puzzle Ball – Optimum Regulated Eating
- SPOT Ethical Pet Shuffle Bone Dog Toy Puzzle – Most Reliable
- KADTC Dog Puzzle Toy For Brain Stimulation – Advanced Stumper
- PetRageous Thinkrageous Advanced Level Puzzle Dogs – Acuity Builder
- Loobani Dog Food Puzzle Feeder Toy – Customizable Play
Let’s get started with a detailed review of the dog puzzles.
1. Outward Hound Nina Ottosson Dog Puzzle Toy – Best Seller
If you want the best mental stimulation for your bored doggo then go for Outward Hound Nina Ottosson Dog Puzzle Toy.
Outward Hound is the expert when it comes to making stimulating dog toys. They know what it takes to keep a dog busy and grab its interest.
The material, to begin with, is 100% safe for the dogs. The plastic is BPA, PVC & Phthalate free. And yes, it’s gluten-free too. Who would’ve thought of that?
The toy is sturdy to the level of being indestructible. Your doggo can be pretty aggressive with it, yet it will remain loyal and won’t break down.
This toy is just purrr-fect for the beginner level. Though they do offer 4 advanced challenging levels.
You do have the option of adding kibble as a treat which can help build up the keenness of your doggo toward the toy.
With the Outward Hound puzzle toy in the house, it’s time to say bye-bye to that anxious dog of yours and welcome the most well-behaved family member onboard.
Looking for ways to help your dog with managing anxiety? Here’s a useful read.
- For all breeds and sizes
- BPA, PVC, and Phthalate-Free material
- A composite blend of plastic and wood
- 9 compartments for hidden treats
- Easy clean
- Made from non-toxic and sturdy material
- Easy clean with mild soap and water
- Four step-by-step challenging levels are available
- Comes with hidden treat compartments
- Filling treats may be a tedious job
- Cannot be left unsupervised
Check Outward Hound Nina Ottosson Dog Puzzle Toy for more info. #commissionsearned
2. TRIXIE Dog Activity Gambling Tower Dog Puzzle – Intriguing Design
TRIXIE Dog Activity Flip Board Dog Puzzle makes it into the tight squeeze of our top three favorites. With great quality and even greater interactive play, this dog puzzle toy is surely an investment.
The design is based on an intelligence-provoking strategy followed up by a doggie treat. The company offers a wide range of exciting versions each with four levels of expertise.
If you are getting this toy for the first time, we suggest going for the beginner level.
The toy is made from anti-chew material and an anti-slip base so that it won’t keep sliding off which can make your pet more annoyed than excited.
As much as the toy is safe for your dog, we still suggest not leaving your dog unsupervised during playtime.
- Unique design
- Chew-proof material
- Available in four levels of expertise
- Reward-based play
- Comes with an adjustable difficulty level
- Anti-slip rubber base
- Free instructional booklet
- Suitable for all breeds and ages
- Chew proof design
- Anti-slip base
- Comes with a tips and trick guide
- Costlier than average dog puzzle toy
- Not for unsupervised play
See more here TRIXIE Dog Activity Flip Board Dog Puzzle #commissionsearned
3. JW Hol-ee Roller Dog Puzzle Ball – Finest Quality
Well-exercised dogs are happy dogs. This is what JW Hol-ee Roller Dog Puzzle Ball aims to target via their intelligently designed interactive dog toys with the highest quality.
The roller dog puzzle is made with the finest quality nontoxic rubber. Your dog can tug it, fetch it, stretch it or chew it, and the patented rubber won’t show any signs of wear off.
The toy serves a dual purpose-a great playtime and the best teether.
You can stuff the balls with a smaller toy or treat to build up your doggo’s interest. It can be cleaned easily with mild soap and water.
The ball comes in four sizes and design variations. You can pick the size which suits you best for your doggo. Though the price does go up as the size increases. And fairly so.
- Patented high-quality rubber
- The intelligent design promotes problem-solving and teething
- Available in a variety of sizes, designs, and colors
- Can serve as a treat dispensing toy as well
- Great for teething
- Comes in various sizes and designs
- Attractive colors
- Offers customizable playtime
- Best suited for medium-sized dogs
- Not suitable for aggressive chewing
Check it out JW Hol-ee Roller Dog Puzzle Ball #commissionsearned
4. WEST PAW Zogoflex Qwizl Dog Puzzle Toy – Multifunctional
WEST PAW Zogoflex Qwizl Dog Puzzle Toy is a bright-colored and mentally stimulating chew toy that dispenses doggie treat.
What better way to keep your doggo busy than this all-in-one entertainment pack?
The toy gets an A+ for sturdiness on our scorecard. Even the toughest chewers can’t lay it to waste.
We know what you are thinking. Yes, it is made from 100% chew-safe material. It is BPA-free and approved by FDA.
So here’s the highlight; the side openings release food scent and taste while the central opening acts as a treat dispenser.
The treat dispenser also helps in the economical usage of doggie kibble.
There are two sizes available keeping small and large breed dogs in mind. So that holding and carrying in the mouth is not a hassle.
- Three eye-catching colors are available
- Availability in small and large sizes
- BPA-free, FDA-approved, and US-made material
- Dishwasher safe and 100% recyclable
- Attractive design with treat dispenser
- BPA free sturdy material
- Bright color makes them easily spottable
- Proves to be helpful for teething
- FDA approved
- Limited sizes available
- Maybe costlier than the average puzzle toy
See more information WEST PAW Zogoflex Qwizl Dog Puzzle Toy #commissionsearned
5. Pet Zone IQ Treat Ball And Dog Puzzle – Optimum
Pet Zone IQ Treat And Dog Puzzle Ball is one of the leading treat dispensing toys that work towards stimulating your dog’s brain.
The toy can keep your dog glued to it for hours and obviously for all the good reasons.
You can fill up the ball with your dog’s favorite food and let your dog work its way through his favorite treat. The toy promotes slow and regulated feeding.
It comes in handy for dogs who like to chow down in quick gulps. So it’s a great alternative for lick mats or slow-feeding bowls as well.
Since this dog puzzle toy doubles up as a slow feeder, it needs to be cleaned after every feeding. Keeping this in mind, cleaning the toy is a piece of cake.
You can clean it with soap and water or wipe it clean. It is also dishwasher safe.
- One toy, 3 difficulty levels
- Made from hard plastic
- Treat dispensing
- Available in 3-inch and 4-inch for small and large breeds respectively
- Customizable difficulty level
- Pulls apart for easy cleaning
- Two size options to cater to all breeds and sizes
- Hard plastic material is not for chewing purposes
- Sturdiness level may not be very high
Grab your today here Pet Zone IQ Treat And Dog Puzzle Ball #commissionsearned
6. SPOT Ethical Pet Shuffle Bone Dog Toy Puzzle – Most Reliable
Another dog puzzle toy that deserves a “round of paws” is SPOT Ethical Pet Shuffle Bone Dog Toy Puzzle.
It is made with thick wooden material and has 10 compartments to fill up kibble. The kibble is hidden in these compartments with a slide covering on top.
Once the dog figures out how to slide away the cover, kibble is revealed as a treat for the hard work.
Quite motivating, isn’t it? This dog puzzle toy strengthens your dog’s motor skills and improves IQ.
This toy sums up to better eating, more playtime, and mental stimulation. The corners may seem sharp to some.
It is best that you cover them with fur or velcro strips to be on the safer side.
- 12×8.1×1.1 inches in size
- Caters to small, medium, and large breeds
- Sturdy wooden construction material
- Comes with 10 treat dispensing pockets with 6 sliding covers
- Caters to all breed sizes
- Sturdy wooden material used
- Great customer care
- Expensive buy
- Drool or anything moist may ruin the board
Why wait? Give your fur baby deserve it SPOT Ethical Pet Shuffle Bone Dog Toy Puzzle #commissionsearned
7. KADTC Dog Puzzle Toy For Brain Stimulation – Advance Stumper
We have to admit, the trickiness level of KADTC Dog Puzzle Toy For Brain Stimulation kept us quite intrigued, let alone our doggo.
The semi-circle shape of the dog toy is hard to fit in a dog’s mouth hence preventing it from chewing and destroying.
The food-dispensing compartments open up with your dog’s fav kibble as a surprise when your dog figures out how to solve the puzzle.
What a fun way to feed your dog and the best part is this promotes slower eating which builds up gastrointestinal health.
You can find some useful tips on improving your dog’s health in this guide.
POV after getting your doggo this puzzle toy; you are training it to think smarter in challenging situations.
- Suitable for both small and large dogs
- Patent unique design
- Difficulty stage 2
- Comes with an anti-slip base
- Easy to clean with soap and water
- Free from Bisphenol A, PVC, and Phthalates
- Chew-safe material made from food-grade ABS
- Food dispensing compartments can be removed or added for customized difficulty level
- Made from non-toxic material
- Adjustable difficulty level
- Promotes gastrointestinal health
- Anti-slip rubber base points
- The popping sound when the compartment opens may annoy some
- Adhesive stickers at the base may not work after putting them on the dusty floor
Find out more here KADTC Dog Puzzle Toy For Brain Stimulation #commissionsearned
8. PetRageous Thinkrageous Advanced Level Puzzle Dogs – Acuity Builder
PetRageous Thinkrageous Advanced Level Puzzle Dogs is another incentive-based play for sharpening your dog’s critical thinking skills. The puzzle pieces are swift to move with paw movement.
Easy gliding and quick kibble treat revelation make the doggo happy instantly and understand how incentives work.
Best of all, the great functionality does not cause any frustration or make your pet lose interest.
There may be a few loopholes like the hidden food compartment size being small. But that’s nothing too big and is easily manageable.
The material is safe though not built for aggressive chewing.
The toy is made in a round shape as other shapes may come with sharp edges and can pose a threat to your doggo during playtime.
- Toy measures upto 9.84 Inch L x 9.84 Inch W x 1 Inch H
- For all dog breeds and sizes
- 5 food dispensing compartments
- 5 plastic sliding discs
- Good quality pressboard material
- Wipe clean only
- Great price offered
- Non-toxic material
- Best for all dog breeds
- Incentive-based play
- Supports a healthy coat and skin
- Pressboard is not long-lasting
- Water washing is not recommended
Get the latest updates PetRageous Thinkrageous Advanced Level Puzzle Dogs #commissionsearned
9. Loobani Dog Food Puzzle Feeder Toy – Customized Play
Loobani Dog Food Puzzle Feeder Toy may be the new kid on the block but with its indigenous design, it’s paving its way up fast.
The toy is smart and based on gradually building up your dog’s interest. It comes with two puzzles.
Your dog can start with the one on the base of the toy. You can add the hanging tubes later once you feel your dog is done with the puzzle on the base.
These hanging tubes contain kibble to boost attention. It can train and enhance your fidos sense of smell as well.
The H-shaped base is made from sturdy bamboo. Your dog won’t be able to knock off the toy, however playful or angry it might be.
And yes, with bamboo’s non-toxic nature, you can also have a relaxed time while your dog plays with the toy.
- H-shaped design
- Solid bamboo wood material
- Anti-slip stickers at the base to prevent slips
- Caters to all dog breeds and sizes
- 3 food dispensing tubes
- Highly durable
- Completely safe and non-toxic bamboo wood
- Easy installation
- Adjustable height for better play
- The screws may come off due to aggressive throwing
- Anti-slip stickers can wear off with careless usage
More info Loobani Dog Food Puzzle Feeder Toy here #commissionsearned
A plushy can be cute, and squeaky can be great for attention grabs, but a dog puzzle toy–well that’s a whole new ball game.
There is no better way to exercise your dog’s mind than getting them to indulge in a dog puzzle toy.
If you think it’s only the dog’s body that requires a workout, then you are only halfway there. Their mind needs equal stimulation.
Involve your doggo in mental stimulation and you will have one well-behaved companion.
And yes, get the best dog puzzle toy for your canine today and help bring out the Einstein in them with our review.
Outward Hound Nina Ottosson Dog Puzzle Toy is the best bet when it comes to mind-stimulating playtime.
It is time to unleash the ultimate dog-care experience. Join our pack of dog lovers at Bulldogology and learn about all the latest tips and tricks to have the best time with your furry friend.