Dog Poisoning Symptoms – Help Save Your Pet’s Life

dog poisoning symptoms

It’s crucial to identify symptoms of dog poisoning immediately after they appear.

Most frequently, poisoning is carried out by toxins based on organophosphates and rodenticides.

But that’s not all…

Unfortunately, there are plenty of things lying around your house that could potentially harm your pet.

Before jumping to conclusions, think about this:

Does your pet maybe have a sensitive stomach?

If you said yes, we’ve got something for you!

Here are 5 Useful Tips and the Best Dog Food for a Sensitive Stomach that will undoubtedly help.

Back to what we were saying…

As you carefully read each and every word of this page, you will learn how to react quickly, what can poison your pup and what dog poisoning symptoms to look out for.

Some of the most common dog poisoning symptoms include vomiting, trembling, spasms, and even loss of consciousness.

But there is one small catch:

The poison can take effect immediately but also a couple of days after poisoning. This is called the cumulative effect.

That’s why it is important to act quickly and help save your dog.

Take Immediate Action for Dog Poisoning

Help the poor animal right away and try to contact the nearest vet. Pay attention to what happens to the dog – is it vomiting, does it have difficulty breathing?

If the dog is lying down and vomiting:

Tilt its head at a 30-degree angle first and then pull the dog’s tongue out and release the airway of excessive saliva.

If the dog is shaking:

Keep it warm and try to place it in a dark and quiet room.

If the poison has damaged the dog’s skin or hair:

Quickly wash that area with mild soap and water.

Remember not to dry it with a blow-dryer. Hot air can only boost the absorption of toxins through the skin.

But that’s not all:

Give your dog plenty of water and keep it well-hydrated.

Also, bear in mind that it might be frightened so try not to startle it so it wouldn’t unintentionally hurt you.

Dog Poisoning Symptoms With Different Poisons

Now that you know how to quickly react, let’s take a look at how different poisons work.

  1. Cleaning Agents and Alcohol

    Excessively runny nose, vomiting and diarrhea happen approximately an hour after the poisoning. 

    For the next 3 hours: anxiety, stiffness in legs, cramps and high body temperature.

    How to React:
    Induce vomiting within the first half an hour then give activated charcoal and plenty of water in small sips.

    Therapy consists of inducing vomiting, stomach flushing, sedatives and sleeping medication and, last but not least, calcium against cramps.

  2. Antifreeze

    A very leaky nose, vomiting, diarrhea, dizziness, cramps.

    How to React:
    In this case, do not try to induce vomiting.
    Give your dog plenty of water in small sips and activated charcoal.

    In case of  poisoning with an antifreeze therapy includes:
    Stomach flushing, medication for maintenance of kidney function, and an antidote that is administered intravenously.

  3. Rodenticides

    Initially, there is vomiting that most dog owners tend to disregard.
    After 2-6 hours: sleepiness caused by internal bleeding, pale gums, bloody urine and bloody poop.

    How to React:
    In the first 30-60 minutes, induce vomiting using a saline solution.
    After 1 hours, stop the forced vomiting and nausea with activated charcoal and rush your dog to the vet.

    The therapy consists of vitamin K1 injections and blood transfusions in the worst cases of poisoning.

  4. Organophosphate or insecticide poisoning

    Depending on the amount, taking this poison can lead to death within 24 hours.
    In milder cases, after a half hour to an hour: a runny nose, vomiting, diarrhea, and later cramps and fever occur, leading the dog to feel fearful.

    How to React:
    Vomiting should be induced only after consulting a veterinarian, and only in the first hour with a concentrated saline solution.
    Before going to the vet, also give your dog plenty of water and activated charcoal.

    The recommended treatment for poisoning caused by organophosphates is the following:
    Inducing vomiting, stomach flushing, sedatives and sleep medication, and calcium that will relieve cramps in the limbs.

    How to prevent poisoning with insecticides:
    First, carefully use agents and shampoos against fleas.
    After applying those agents, thoroughly wash the dog’s fur with a damp cloth and rinse the shampoo well.
    Never leave these products open near the dog.
    Strictly prohibit the dog from drinking the bath water.

In Conclusion

We know you might be scared by now, but don’t worry.

When dog poisoning occurs, the most important thing to remember is that vomiting should be induced only in the first hour.

After that, the dog should only be given activated charcoal.

Expert assistance is also in these, as in many other situations, the best solution, so it is necessary to take the sick animal to the vet.

Bottom line is:

In most cases of poisoning, giving the dog oil or milk won’t help.

Furthermore, if chemicals caused the poisoning, do not induce vomiting because it may worsen the situation and worsen throat burns.

The most important thing is that you now know how to recognize dog poisoning symptoms and how to quickly react in a situation like that.

And, finally, remember that activated charcoal and water are the best thing you can do at the moment.

Have you had any experience with dog poisoning? We would appreciate it if you shared your story in the comments. Maybe you will help other dog owners by doing so! Also, don’t forget to share this article and let your friends know what to do in a situation like this.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *