how to make a dog throw up after eating grapes

Urgent: How to Make a Dog Throw Up After Eating Grapes? Follow These Steps Now

Should your dog happen to consume even one grape, it’s important for you to know, “What’s the method to induce vomiting in a dog after it has eaten grapes?”

Grape poisoning can be extremely dangerous for dogs. Dogs who eat grapes may develop diarrhea and vomiting within a couple of hours of ingesting grapes. Worse, the grapes can cause kidney failure and subsequent death in dogs due to grape and raisin toxicity.

Therefore, it is important that you act fast after you’ve caught your dog munching on grapes. Don’t let it eat any more grapes!

So, how to make a Dog throw up after eating grapes to prevent grape and raisin toxicity, you also need to induce vomiting in your dog right away to prevent further dangerous complications.

How to Make a Dog Throw Up After It Has Eaten Grapes?

The best way to make a dog throw up after it has been seen ingesting grapes is with hydrogen peroxide. It is the best way to prevent grape poisoning in dogs.

Administer 1-3 tsp of peroxide using a syringe, straight into your dog’s mouth. The exact quantity of hydrogen peroxide needed to induce vomiting in dogs will depend on your dog’s weight.

Make your dog walk a bit. This will cause the peroxide to bubble and induce vomiting. It is important that you see your vet right away after you find out that your dog ate grapes.

Check out our detailed guide on How to Safely Induce Vomiting in your Dog?

Grape and Raisin Toxicity in Canines – What Are the Causes?

According to vets, grapes, and raisins are toxic to dogs because of the presence of tartaric acid and potassium bitartrate in them.

Tartaric acid causes debilitating symptoms of raisin toxicity, including vomiting, diarrhea, and kidney failure.

The quantity of tartaric acid present in the sultanas, raisins, or grapes will depend on the region where they are grown as well as their ripeness.

What are The Symptoms of Grape Poisoning?

According to PetMD, grape poisoning or grape toxicity in dogs is characterized by the following symptoms:

  • Vomiting or diarrhea – this can occur within hours after your dog has had grapes. 
  • In the initial stages after a dog eats grapes, there can be increased urination.
  • Your dog might show increased or excessive thirst and drink plenty of water.
  • Lethargy, refusal to eat
  • Abdominal pain – your dog might hide and refuse food. It will continue retching to remove the grapes from its system.
  • Without medical help, your pet could suffer acute kidney failure and other severe signs of kidney damage. This will affect your dog’s urine output. In some dogs, urine production may stop completely. If these clinical signs are present, please see your vet.

To prevent kidney failure, you must rush to the animal poison control center immediately after your dog has eaten grapes or raisins.

Also Read: Why is My Dog Throwing Up Yellow Bile?

How Long After Eating Grapes Will a Dog Get Sick?

There is no straightforward answer to this question. The answer depends on how many grapes your dog ate and also on your pet’s size and overall health.

In small dogs, even a single raisin or grape could cause grape toxicity with the aforementioned symptoms. In others, the reaction could be delayed, and the grapes or raisins vomiting might begin an hour or two after having the grapes. If your dog ate just a few grapes, there may not be any reaction at all.

However, you must still monitor your dog. Grapes or raisins contain tartaric acid, which is toxic, and you might still want to have your pet examined by your vet.

That is why you need to act fast and take your dog to the vet while there is still time. If a  dog has eaten grapes, it needs intravenous fluids and other medical treatment to support kidney function.

How Do You Get the Grapes Out of Your Dog’s System?

Doctors recommend inducing vomiting as the best treatment for dog owners to counter grape ingestion and grape and raisin poisoning in dogs:

Administer Hydrogen Peroxide

Inducing vomiting with peroxide is the safest way to get the grapes or grape juice out of your dog’s system. This is very important to save your pet’s life and avoid grape or raisin toxicity. Pet owners can use the following steps to make their dog’s vomit:

  • Fill up a syringe or a turkey baster with the peroxide. The exact quantity will depend on your dog’s weight.
  • In general: use 1-3 tsp of H2O2 to get the grapes out of your dog’s stomach.
  • Squirt the peroxide on your dog’s gums and make sure it swallows it.
  • Walk your dog a bit. This will stimulate its gi tract and make the peroxide bubble.
  • This will stimulate your dog to vomit.

Administer Activated Charcoal

Veterinarians  also recommend activated charcoal for dogs that have eaten something toxic. To use activated charcoal, administer a dose of 0.5 to 1.5 grams of activated charcoal per pound of body weight of your dog.

You can mix the charcoal with a bit of food to give it to your dog orally.

The above steps are the best way to avoid grape poisoning in dogs and the subsequent kidney failure that could occur due to grapes or raisins.

What Happens If a Dog Doesn’t Vomit After Hydrogen Peroxide?

Most dogs will vomit within 30-45 minutes after ingesting hydrogen peroxide. If your dog does not vomit after this stipulated time, please see your vet. If it is not possible to drive your dog to the emergency clinic or vet’s office, please use the following steps to get it to throw up.

  • Hold your dog’s head up.
  • Wear gloves.
  • Insert your fingers into your pet’s mouth.
  • Scratch the throat after pulling out your dog’s tongue slightly.
  • Stay by its side while it vomits.

How Do You Make a Dog Throw Up After Eating Something Bad Like Grapes and Raisins?

Ideally, you should not try to make your dog throw up after it ate something bad like grapes or raisins. It can be harmful to pet health.

Instead, call the pet poison helpline. They will guide you as to what to do. They might want to know the following information about your dog’s health:

  • Your dog’s weight or size
  • Its age
  • What toxic substance it ate
  • How many grapes and raisins or how much of the poisonous substance or food it ate
  • How long ago it ate it?
  • Whether it is producing urine normally or is the urine production impacted?
  • Any other signs or symptoms present?

You must take your dog to the emergency pet clinic right away. They will monitor your dog’s clinical signs and take its complete blood count and assess its kidney function. They will then begin treatment based on the toxic dose.

FAQs 

What to do if your dog ate grapes or raisins?

Since there is a risk of kidney failure or death associated with grapes and raisins toxicity, please call the pet poison control helpline or your vet right away. Some people think that a few grapes may not always harm a dog, but in reality, even one grape can be the cause of death in dogs. So, you don’t want to risk waiting, and you must seek immediate treatment.

Will my dog be OK if he ate one raisin?

No. Even a single raisin or dried grapes can be life-threatening and may harm your dog’s kidneys. So, please seek immediate medical help or call the pet poison helpline right away. Prevention is better than the cure so do not let your dog eat even a single grape or raisin to prevent clinical signs of a well-established toxic dose of grape poisoning.

Can dogs recover from consuming grapes?

Human food like macadamia nuts, grapes, grape juice, and raisins are responsible for many dog deaths each year when eaten in toxic doses.  These foods are extremely toxic to dogs.

Some dogs who receive medical treatment immediately may recover and have a good prognosis. However, many dogs who do not get timely help, usually die. It all depends on the extent of kidney damage the toxin has done.

Conclusion – Should I Make My Dog Throw Up If It Ate Grapes?

Our dogs eat harmful things from time to time.

Grapes are highly toxic to dogs. If you suspect your dog has eaten even a single grape, raisin, sultana, or other foods from trail mix, then please seek veterinary treatment immediately to protect your dog’s kidneys.

If, for some reason, you aren’t able to make a vet visit, please try to make your dog throw up. This is the only way to save its life.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *