How can you potty train a stubborn puppy quickly? I’m guessing that sounds like a difficult task to you right? Well, here’s the good news. You’ll get to learn how to potty train your puppy with this step-by-step process. This article will highlight the important points you’ll need to, and you’ll definitely learn a few steps on how you can potty train your pup.
Are you ready? Great!! So, here we go…
How To Potty Train A Stubborn Puppy
Of course, potty training a puppy usually comes with its difficulties. But, if you are determined to achieve a positive result, you will definitely require patience, understanding, and tolerance. With this step-by-step process, you can successfully train your puppy to use the potty.
You’ll have to pretend you are training a toddler
Toddlers are trained with love, patience, and endurance. You should apply that scope, and completely discard the mindset of “after all it is just a dog”. Having that mindset will only take longer to achieve the desired result. So, in that case, treat your puppy with love, patience, and endurance, then watch out for a positive outcome.
Do not forget to provide a designated potty spot
Yes, first things first.
- Start by choosing or providing a designated potty spot that is easy to access quickly, and take your puppy there every time it either wants to poop or pee.
- Always make sure the spot is clean and easy to clean.
- Your pup should not share its private restroom with another pup. So, It must be used by your puppy alone.
- You should often praise your puppy and give it a nice treat after it used the potty spot. You can do this every day until your puppy can use the potty spot without your supervision.
- The smell of poop and pee will make your puppy see the spot as its restroom.
- While doing this, your puppy will learn to wait until it’s outside before going to the restroom.
Choose A Command Word
- Using a particular word command such as “go doggy”, “go puppy”, “go potty, will teach your puppy to go to the direction of the bathroom.
- A word command is necessary because your puppy will recognize the word, and do the right thing by going to the restroom.
Observe Your Puppy Closely
Keeping an eye on your puppy will enable you to identify signs that your puppy needs the restroom. Some of these signs to look out for are;
These signs could mean that your puppy needs to visit the restroom.
Try To Interrupt Accidents
When you see your puppy urinating or defecating outside the potty spot, use words such as “bad dog”, “No”, and lead the dog to the potty spot.
- The aim is to startle the dog by making a sudden but short sound such as “no”, “bad dog”. This will make the puppy realize that it isn’t doing the right thing.
Praise And Give It A Treat
Praising your puppy for doing the right thing will make it want to do it more.
- Using words such as “good boy”, “good dog”, will make the dog use the potty spot often.
- Giving your puppy a nice treat after using the potty spot will make it use it more often. Your puppy will need more of the treat by using the potty spot when necessary. For instance, a puppy biscuit can serve as a good treat.
How Long Does It Take To Potty Train A Stubborn Puppy?
The duration of potty training a puppy depends on the consistency, technique, and the nature of your puppy. It can take a couple of months or less than that to potty train a stubborn puppy.
Secondly, with a proper approach, technique, and a good understanding of your dog, this process usually takes several weeks to several months.
However, some factors that can make it last longer, which includes:
- Medical issues
- Dogs with anxiety issues
- Certain small dog breed
Factors that can shorten this process include:
- Being strict
- Regular supervision
- A reliable and strict schedule
How Often Do Puppies Poop And Pee?
A healthy puppy will poop at least 1 to 5 times daily. This depends on their general health condition, the type of food they consume, and how frequently they eat.
Dehydration and diarrhea are the major factors that can affect a dog’s bowel and bladder movement.
How Long Does It Take A Dog To Digest Food?
A normal digestion process in dogs usually lasts between 6 to 8 hours after eating. But several factors can affect the dog’s digestion time, for instance;
- Dog size
- Health condition
You can improve your dog’s digestive system by:
- Routine exercise
- High protein diet
- Low carb diet
You can agree with me that puppies are fun to watch, play with, walk with, and gist with. Yes, gist with!! You’re wondering how possible it is right? Well, here’s the thing…
If your pup can understand commands like “go doggy, “go potty” as a result of word command training, don’t you think it can understand other words like “come, sit, eat, go outside”? Remember, your relationship with your pup depends on how you train it.
Puppies are not termed “man’s best friend” just for the fun of it. It’s man’s best friend for some of these reasons. You can agree with me that it is quite challenging to achieve all these results.
Now let’s look at the bright side of it. Training your pup in a way that it can use the loo without being supervised is worth the challenge and long wait. That is to say that it can take a couple of weeks or months to successfully train your pup.
There are also lots of other training tips to help raise your puppy.
Most importantly, to potty train a stubborn puppy is not a day’s job. You may feel your efforts are in vain, but with patience, determination, and endurance, you’ll achieve a positive result.
So, why don’t you learn how to potty train a puppy, get yourself a pup today, and turn it into your best friend and companion.
Finally, put down your thoughts if this information was useful to you in the comment section below, and don’t forget to click the share button you learned something new in this article.
A Cleaner Home Without The Hassle
We know that the process of housebreaking can be stressful for both of you and your furry friend. That’s why we designed the Bulldogology Premium Pet Training Pads to help pet owners like you potty train their pets without any hassle. It’s the best way to ensure that your pet is comfortable and squeaky clean…even when you’re not at home. Our Bulldogology Premium Pet Training Pads is the best choice!
Now with Bullsorbent Polymer Technology
- Absorbs and turns liquid into gel right away keeping your floors dry all day long.
- With sticky adhesive tapes to keep your pet from making a huge mess.
- With built-in attractant to help potty train your dog when you’re not around.
- Perfect for indoor and outdoor use, use it as food and water mats, for kennels, or even when traveling.
- Instantly eliminates the stinky smell to keep your home fresh and clean.