Bulldogology is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our page, we may earn an affiliate commission. Thank you for helping us continue our work.
Welcome to our list of the 10 best dog food for Pugs
Feeding your pug can feel like trying to solve a delicious puzzle – it’s not just about filling their bowl; it’s about nourishing their soul (and that adorably rotund body).
Pugs, with their distinctive features and charming personalities, require a diet that’s as special as they are.
Choosing the right food is critical because these dogs are known for their voracious appetites and, unfortunately, their propensity for health issues if not fed properly.
According to PetMD, the right diet can help manage these risks and contribute to a pug’s overall health and happiness.
That’s why we’ve scoured the market, consulted with board-certified veterinary nutritionists, and tested to fetch you the crème de la crème of kibble (and wet food!) the best dog food for pugs.
So, sit, stay, and read on as we unleash the 10 Best Dog Food for Pugs in 2023 – a carefully curated list guaranteed to get tails wagging.
Our top pick is Nutro Natural Choice Small Breed Senior
- Insight into the top-rated pug dog food tailored for pugs’ unique dietary needs.
- Essential advice from board-certified veterinary nutritionists on optimal pug nutrition.
- Highlights of grain-free, allergy-friendly, nutritious diet, and budget-conscious options for your pug.
- The list of the 10 best dog food for pugs.
Table of Contents
How A Healthy Diet Can Help With Some Common Pug Health Problems
Sadly, pugs have several medical issues. Recently published studies even showed that pugs have more than twice the likelihood of experiencing health problems every year than any other breed.
A good nutrition plan and fresh food give your dog the right tools for combatting diseases and minimizing symptoms if she becomes ill.
Here is how premium food will help to protect the health of your Pug.
Here’s Our Top 10 Best Dog Foods for Pugs
It’s a dog-eat-dog world out there in the world of canine cuisine, and with so many options, it’s easy to fall into analysis paralysis. Don’t fret! We’ve done the digging for you.
Here’s a succinct snapshot of the top-notch nutrition that will make your pug’s mealtime a heavenly treat.
- Nutro Natural Choice Small Breed Senior – Best Overalls
- Now Fresh Grain Free Dog Food – Best For Active Pugs
- Royal Canin Breed Health Nutrition Pug Adult Dry Dog Food – Best For Pugs With Allergies
- Blue Buffalo Baby Blue – Best for Puppies
- Purina Pro Plan Adult Small Breed Chicken & Rice Formula Dry Dog Food – Best Value
- IAMS Adult Minichunks Small Kibble with Real Chicken – Best for Muscle Health
- Hill’s Science Diet Adult Small Paws Wet Dog Food – Best wet food for pugs
- Pedigree Small Dog Complete Nutrition Dog Food – Best on a Budget
- Nulo Frontrunner Ancient Grains Turkey, Whitefish & Quinoa – Best For Overall Health and Wellness
- Canidae Pure Petite Adult Small Breed With Salmon – Best Grain-Free Option
Top Dog Food for Pugs Covered in Details
Embark on a culinary journey tailored for your pug’s palate as we delve into detailed reviews of the 10 best dog foods for Pugs 2023, handpicked for your furry friend’s well-being and dining pleasure.
1. Nutro Natural Choice Small Breed Senior – Best Overalls
Senior Pug’s Dining Delight
Our first pick in the lineup, Nutro Natural Choice Small Breed Senior, is a gourmet course for the sophisticated palate of the senior pug.
This recipe takes the lead with pugs favourite food real chicken as its #1 ingredient, ensuring a protein-rich banquet that supports your next adult pug one’s lean muscle mass, critical for their continued vigor and vitality.
Every kibble is packed with essential antioxidants to support a robust immune system, vital for a senior pug’s well-being.
The added calcium fortifies their bones and joints, making each leap for the beloved tennis ball as joyous as in their puppy days.
- Essential antioxidants for a healthy immune system
- Real chicken as the #1 ingredient for protein-rich nourishment
- Calcium-enriched for strong bones and joint support
- Tailored to the unique dietary needs of small senior breeds
- Comes in a manageable 5 lb. bag for easy handling and freshness
- Aids in maintaining a healthy immune system
- Supports muscle health and mobility
- Formulated to help keep bones and joints robust
- Crafted by a trusted brand in pet nutrition
- May not be suitable for pugs with specific chicken protein allergies
- Premium ingredients can reflect a higher price point
User Review Highlights: “My pug will eat this, but of course I have to mix it with other goodies. He has never eaten dry food by itself so I’m assuming he likes this because he usually finishes all of it.”
Check Nutro Natural Choice Small Breed Senior for more info. #disclosure #commissionsearned
2. Now Fresh Grain Free Dog Food – Best For Active Pugs
Wholesome Bounty for Active Adults
Sprightly canines deserve a diet as vibrant and lively as they are! Now Fresh Grain-free presents a banquet of freshness, with de-boned turkey, salmon, and duck leading the charge.
This isn’t your average kibble; it’s a powerhouse of omega fatty acids, ensuring that each wag is powered by the best.
With the first ingredient being real meat, your dog will relish every meal with the gusto of a puppy.
This recipe isn’t just about the delicious taste; it’s a meticulous blend crafted for the high-energy demands of active adults.
Each bite is packed with L-carnitine for optimal heart health and fat metabolism, while New Zealand green mussels stand guard for robust hips and joints.
- Fresh de-boned turkey, salmon, and duck for high-quality protein
- Crafted for active adult dogs with balanced protein & fat
- L-carnitine included for heart health & efficient fat-burning
- Minimally processed to preserve nutrients and flavor
- Enriched with 20+ superfoods for a strong immune system
- Promote healthy bone growth
- Tailored nutrition by breed size and age from expert nutritionists
- Rich in essential omega fatty acids
- Promotes lean muscle and joint health
- Free from grains, by-products, and artificial preservatives
- Supports a healthy immune system with superfoods
- Premium ingredients may reflect in the price
- Specific formula may not suit less active or sedentary dogs
See more here Now Fresh Grain-free #disclosure #commissionsearned
3. Royal Canin Breed Health Nutrition Pug Adult Dry Dog Food – Best For Pugs With Allergies
Tailored Kibble for Regal Pugs
Step into the world of tailored nutrition with Royal Canin’s Pug Adult Dry Dog Food – our top pick for pugs with sensitivities.
This is more than just dog food; it’s a nutritional blueprint for your pug’s well-being.
The kibble shape is no accident; it’s designed for the unique jaw of a pug, making it a breeze for them to pick up and chew.
Dive deeper, and you’ll find a formula enriched with nutrients that bolster the skin barrier, ensuring your pug’s coat mirrors their bubbly personality.
But that’s not all — this specialized pug diet also packs a punch with protein and L-carnitine, maintaining muscle tone even as your pug saunters into their senior years.
And because weight can be a worry, the balanced formula helps manage the scales, keeping your pug at an ideal weight.
- Custom kibble for pugs’ distinct jaws
- Essential nutrients for skin health
- Adapted protein levels for muscle support thus supporting lean muscle mass
- L-carnitine for healthy metabolism
- Formulated for weight management
- Designed exclusively for purebred pugs
- Promotes healthy skin and a luxurious coat
- Supports muscle tone with targeted protein content
- Helps maintain a healthy weight
- Premium pricing may not fit all budgets
- Not suitable for households with different breeds
User Review Highlights: “I bought this product for my pug. He was having allergy issues with all different type of food including Pedegree so I decided to give an after reading a few reviews I’m happy I did he stop itching and looks a lot healthier.”
Check it out Royal Canin’s Pug Adult Dry Dog Food #disclosure #commissionsearned
4. Blue Buffalo Baby Blue – Best for Puppies
Puppy’s First Choice for Healthy Growth
When your little, pug puppy is still a bundle of joy bouncing around, Blue Buffalo Baby Blue is the best start you can give them.
It’s our go-to recommendation best food for pug puppies, who deserve the best of the best in their bowl.
Imagine your pug pup’s delight when they dig into a meal that’s a veritable feast of high-quality chicken, aimed to build those tiny muscles into a pug-worthy physique.
But Blue Buffalo doesn’t stop there; they add a scoop of wholesome whole grains, garden veggies, and fruit for a balanced diet that would make momma pug proud.
- High-quality protein from real chicken
- DHA and ARA to support brain and eye health
- LifeSource Bits for a healthy immune system
- Wholesome grains, vegetables, and fruit for balanced nutrition
- Supporting lean muscle mass
- Free from poultry by-products, corn, wheat, soy, artificial flavors, or preservatives
- Real chicken as the first ingredient
- Corn gluten meal
- Supports healthy growth in puppies
- Enhances cognitive function and eye health
- Promotes a strong immune system
- May be costlier than other puppy brands
- Some puppies might be sensitive to grain ingredients
See more information Blue Buffalo Baby Blue #disclosure #commissionsearned
5. Purina Pro Plan Adult Small Breed Chicken & Rice Formula Dry Dog Food – Best Value
Small Bites, Big Nutrition
And here comes the best food bang for your buck—Purina Pro Plan Adult Small Breed Chicken & Rice Formula.
Let’s just say it’s like the superhero of pet food, swooping in to save the day without draining your wallet.
It’s crafted with bite-sized kibble, traditional kibble and tender, shredded pieces that’ll have your petite pooch feeling like they’re dining at a five-star restaurant every mealtime.
And the best part? It’s packed with protein, lamb meal, with real chicken leading the charge, ensuring your furry friend’s muscles stay as strong as their adorable, unyielding spirit. Indeed, one of the best food for pugs!
The addition of live probiotics isn’t just a fancy feature; it’s a belly rub from the inside, nurturing their digestive and dog’s immune system.
- Nutrient-dense, bite-sized kibble plus tender shreds
- High protein with real chicken as the #1 ingredient
- Fortified with guaranteed live probiotics
- Tailored for the needs of active small breeds
- Ideal for small-breed dogs with higher activity levels
- Supports digestive and immune health
- Real chicken boosts protein intake for muscle health
- Some dogs may prefer a grain-free option
- The formula change might not sit well with all pups
User Review Highlights: “My very picky pugs love this food! No more having to add canned food to their bowls!”
Grab your today here Purina Pro Plan Adult Small Breed Chicken & Rice Formula #disclosure #commissionsearned
6. IAMS Adult Minichunks Small Kibble with Real Chicken – Best for Optimal Muscle Health
Active Health, Tiny Bites
IAMS Adult Minichunks is more than just small bites; it’s a giant leap in canine nutrition.
In a world where chicken is king, IAMS leads the flock with farm-raised chicken as the number one ingredient, ensuring your dog gets the protein-rich diet they need to maintain lean muscles.
This kibble goes beyond mere taste—it’s a nutritional powerhouse promoting healthy digestion with a blend of fibers and prebiotics.
And when it comes to immunity, these small chunks pack a mighty punch of antioxidants.
- Small kibble size perfect for adult dogs
- Real, farm-raised chicken as the first ingredient
- A blend of fiber and prebiotics for digestive health
- Antioxidants for a robust immune system
- Ideal kibble size for smaller jaws
- High-quality protein from real chicken
- Supports overall health with complete nutrition
- Not specifically formulated for dogs with grain allergies
- Might not suit picky eaters used to wet food
Why wait? Give your fur baby deserve it IAMS Adult Minichunks #disclosure #commissionsearned
7. Hill’s Science Diet Adult Small Paws Wet Dog Food – Best Wet Food
Savory Delight for Small Paws
When it’s time to treat your petite pooch to a gourmet dining experience, Hill’s Science Diet Adult Small Paws Wet Dog Food stands out as the crème de la crème, especially curated for those with refined palates.
Crafted with the wellness of your small breed in mind, this food is more than a meal; it’s a building block for a vibrant, energetic life.
High-quality proteins bolster lean muscle maintenance, ensuring your dog stays spry and active.
The inclusion of gentle fibers promotes a happy and healthy digestive system, transforming mealtime into a nourishing ritual that’s both satisfying and beneficial.
- Two delectable varieties
- Ideal for small breeds, aged 1-6
- High-quality proteins for muscle health
- Fiber-rich for digestive wellness
- Omega 6s and vitamin E for a vibrant coat
- Portion-sized trays for no-fuss serving
- High-quality ingredients support overall health
- Promotes a shiny coat and healthy skin
- Supports lean muscle and ideal body condition
- Wet food can be more expensive than dry kibble
- Some picky eaters may prefer dry food textures
Find out more here Hill’s Science Diet Adult Small Paws Wet Dog Food #disclosure #commissionsearned
8. Pedigree Small Dog Complete Nutrition Dog Food – Best on a Budget
Budget-Friendly Banquet for Small Breeds
On the hunt for something that’s kind to your pocket without skimping on taste or nutrition?
Our next pick, Pedigree Small Dog Complete Nutrition Dog Food, best on a budget, serves up a smorgasbord of flavor and health – without breaking the bank!
This Pedigree recipe is a cornucopia of goodness, from its life-enriching blend of antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals to the optimal levels of omega-6 for a glossy coat.
The kibble’s small size is perfect for tiny teeth, and the whole grains and protein support digestion, making every mealtime a joyous occasion for your little one.
- Delicious steak and vegetable flavor
- Enriched with antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals
- Features whole grains and protein for digestion support
- Contains omega-6 for skin and coat health
- Made in the USA with the finest ingredients
- Small kibble size perfect for small breeds
- Affordable without sacrificing quality
- Complete and balanced nutrition
- Supports healthy digestion
- Promotes shiny and healthy coat
- No high fructose corn syrup, artificial flavors, or added sugar
- May not suit dogs with specific dietary restrictions
- Flavor variety is limited
Get the latest updates Pedigree Small Dog Complete Nutrition Dog Food #disclosure #commissionsearned
9. Nulo Frontrunner Ancient Grains Turkey, Whitefish & Quinoa – Best For Overall Health And Wellness
Tailored Nutrition for Tiny Champions
As we march on through our top picks, the Nulo Frontrunner Ancient Grains Turkey, Whitefish & Quinoa takes the best for comprehensive health spotlight.
This isn’t just another dog food; it’s a gourmet gala for your petite pal.
Boasting a protein-packed formula with 77% animal-based ingredients, it’s crafted for the most ambitious of small breeds.
Your dog’s health is the main event with Nulo Frontrunner.
It’s fortified with taurine for a robust heart, probiotics for digestive bliss, and antioxidants for an immune system as strong as their bark.
- High 77% animal-based protein
- Ancient grains for natural fiber
- Includes taurine, probiotics, and antioxidants
- Amino acids for lean muscle mass
- Ideal kibble size for small breeds
- Promote proper dog’s weight
- Supports heart, digestive, and immune health
- Formulated to help maintain healthy weight
- Promotes feelings of fullness
- No artificial flavors or preservatives
- Premium price point may not fit all budgets
- May not be suitable for dogs with grain sensitivities
User Review Highlights: “Finally found something my pug enjoys I will continue to purchase so hopefully the price stays the same🙂“
Get the latest updates Nulo Frontrunner Ancient Grains Turkey, Whitefish & Quinoa #disclosure #commissionsearned
10. Canidae Pure Petite Adult Small Breed With Salmon – Best Grain-Free Option
Salmon Sensation for Petite Pooches
Our last pick in the lineup is Canidae Pure Petite Adult Small Breed With Salmon – the best grain-free option for your discerning small breed’s gourmet palate.
Embark on a culinary adventure with Canidae Pure Petite, where premium salmon leads the flavor parade, enticing even the fussiest of eaters.
Crafted with sensitivity in mind, this recipe is a culinary masterpiece of simplicity, boasting eight or fewer key ingredients.
Each bite-sized kibble is lovingly coated in freeze-dried raw salmon, guaranteeing a burst of flavor with every crunch.
More than just delicious, it’s packed with antioxidants and probiotics, ensuring that each meal is a step towards flourishing and optimal health.
- Real salmon as the first ingredient
- Grain-free with less than eight key ingredients
- Small kibble size coated in freeze-dried raw salmon
- Includes antioxidants and probiotics
- Supports healthy digestion and immune system
- Formulated for healthy joints, skin, and coat
- Ideal for dogs with sensitivities
- Nutrient-rich for small breed needs
- Supports overall health and wellness
- Eco-friendly brand values
- May not suit all budgets
- Limited ingredient list may require supplemental nutrition for some dogs
More info Canidae Pure Petite Adult Small Breed With Salmon here #disclosure #commissionsearned
Buyer’s Guide: How to Select the Best Dog Food for Pugs?
When you’re on the hunt for the ultimate dog food for your pug, you’re not just picking a meal; you’re curating a lifestyle.
Tailored nutrition is the linchpin of their wellbeing—think of it as a cuddle for their insides.
Here’s the lowdown on crafting a dinner bowl that’ll make your pug’s heart sing and tail wag.
Wet Dog Food: Hydration Hero for Pugs
According to PetMD, moisture-rich wet dog food is a godsend for pugs who treat their water bowl like a decorative piece.
It’s especially beneficial for seniors who may find dry food as appealing as a chewed slipper.
Optimal Nutrition: The Vitamin Vault
Vitamins A, C, and E are the guardians of your pet’s health too, keeping everything from their immune system to their coat as shiny as a new toy.
A diet boasting a complete and balanced vitamin profile is non-negotiable.
Picky Eaters: The Flavor Savers
Every pug is an artist, especially when it comes to their palate.
If your pug performs a dramatic sigh at mealtime, entice them with various flavors and textures, or consider rotational diets to maintain their interest.
Grain-Free Diet: Gentle on the Tummy
Some pugs’ digestive tracts are as sensitive as their moods on bath day. A study on grain-free diets by the AKC reveals that for some, a grain-free option can significantly soothe their digestive system.
Fewer Calories: Fighting the Pug Pudge
Pugs and extra pounds are an easy match, but it’s a love affair best avoided.
Hunt for low-calorie, nutrient-rich foods to keep your pug’s waistline as trim as their whiskers without skimping on nutrition.
High-Quality Protein: Muscle Magic
Protein is the secret sauce to a pug’s vim and vigor. Look for foods where animal-based proteins take center stage, ensuring your pug’s muscles are as strong as their personality.
No Artificial Nasties: Clean Eating for Pugs
What’s not in your pug’s food is as crucial as what is. Dodge artificial flavors or preservatives like a poorly thrown frisbee to spare your pug from unnecessary health issues.
Sensitive Stomachs: The Gentle Diet
For the pug with a stomach as delicate as their snore, seek out meals with ingredients that won’t cause a ruckus internally, like brown rice and oatmeal.
So it important to find the best food for pug with sensitive stomach.
Life Stage Appropriateness: Age-Specific Aliment
Whether puppy, prime adult, or prestigious senior, your pug’s dietary needs will change. WebMD emphasizes the importance of age-appropriate food to ensure a nutrient-rich diet at every life stage.
The Importance of Tailored Nutrition for Your Pug
Crafting your pug’s diet to their unique needs is about as essential as their daily nap. It’s the crux of their care.
Promote Healthy Skin
Diets with omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids are crucial for a pug’s skin health, preventing common issues and maintaining a barrier against allergens.
Healthy Weight Management
To keep a pug’s weight in check, you need a balanced diet—too much love in the form of food can lead to a weight gain that taxes their joints.
A pug’s gut health is paramount. Prebiotics and easily digestible ingredients can keep their digestive system humming as sweetly as their contented snores.
Bone and Joint Health
Calcium, phosphorus, and joint-supporting additives are essential to keep your sturdy little pug bouncing happily around.
Immune System Support
The right dog food acts as an immunity shield, decking your pug out with defense against bugs and germs.
Quality protein keeps their muscles toned and ready for anything, from playtime to those mad dashes to the door.
A balanced diet ensures that your pug’s coat is as glorious to look at as it is to cuddle, keeping it soft and shiny.
Allergies & Skin Problems
Pugs suffer from environmental allergies as well. Some common foods can cause severe itchy skin and digestive problems including allergic reactions.
A diet that is naturally formulated and limited in calories is effective to reduce symptoms.
The breed of active dogs can be more at risk for infections such as acne, dermatitis, or skin folds.
A nutritious food helps maintain a healthy dog and improves its immunity by helping the dog fight infection and allergy symptoms.
Omega-3 or six acids in foods are good for skin and coat health.
Nutritional Needs For Pugs
Adult poodles reach 12-13 inches tall and weigh between 13-16 pounds.
Despite achieving moderate energy, they are strong muscular and the muscles need adequate nutrients to maintain the size of their bodies (puppet, adult and even senior dogs).
Pug owners need a dog diet geared specifically for smaller breeds. What’s the reason? All animals require a nutrient and calories-rich diet.
These things are especially important to the puppies.
The younger small-bred puppies ingest the most fat so quickly that they are more likely to develop hypoglyceemia, which causes serious and possibly fatal consequences.
In the delightful quest to keep our pug’s tail wagging and their eyes sparkling with mischief, Nutro Natural Choice Small Breed Senior emerges as our top pick.
With this treasure trove of insights and a carousel of the best dog foods for pugs reviewed, your furry friend is all set for a feast that promises more zoomies, more cuddles, and an overflowing cup of health.
Here’s to happy meals and even happier pugs!
What is the best dog food to feed best puppy food for a pug too?
APARN recommends and utilizes high quality grainless kibble such as Fromm, Wellness Cores and Natural Balance Alpha dogs.
Because of the number of pugs we see with food allergies, we went a step further and suggested an alternative fish oil variety.
Do pugs need specific food?
Pugs can consume any dog food and it’s safe. Make sure to give dogs canned food that is toxic. Carrots, Green Bean, Sweet Potato, and Red/Black Bean are OK for dog food.
Is Purina good for pugs?
Dog food brands, especially the famous dry dog foods, Purina Dog chow are completely adapted for pugs and all other dog breeds.
What is the best dog food for pugs with skin allergies?
It may include options containing chicken meal or salmon meal, green beans as both can be beneficial for their skin health.
What is the best dog food for pugs?
Nutro Natural Choice Small Breed Senior is a nutritious choice for adult pugs, especially for senior dogs, to maintain their health and well-being, providing them with a balanced and senior-specific diet.
It may include options containing chicken meal or salmon meal, as both can be beneficial for their skin health.
What to feed a pug?
To feed a pug and maintain their muscle tone and overall health, consider a diet that addresses their food intolerance, includes essential vitamins, manages their weight, and may include supplements like coconut oil to further support digestive health and their well-being.
This article was written by the Bulldogology team. With over 10 years of research experience in dog care.
We gathered helpful information from many veterinarians and researched this topic. Hope this article is useful for you.
How much to feed pug puppy food?
To determine how much to feed a pug puppy, follow guidelines that support their digestive health and ensure the well-being of your “fur baby.”
The recommended amount best pug food may vary based on their age, weight, and specific nutritional need
This article was written by the Bulldogology team. With over 10 years of research experience in dog care. We gathered helpful information from many veterinarians and researched this topic. Hope this article is useful for you.