Interested in learning about the biting strength of a pitbull?
Pitbulls (and other similar dog breeds) are dogs often associated with aggression, power, and strength. The breed was originally bred for dog fighting, so breeders would breed ferocious pitbulls and related dog breeds known for their aggressive tendencies.
In this guide, we will tell you exactly how much damage a pitbull dog breed and their bites can inflict.
How Much is a Pit Bull Bite Force?
According to Dog Bite Attack Lawyers, pitbulls are capable of exerting a force of 235 psi. PSI stands for pounds per square inch. In the case of certain dog breed bites, the PSI rate is calculated after considering the weight of the dog breed, the size of the dog’s jaws, and the angle at which the dog bites.
Please note that the pitbull consists of various dog breeds like the American Pit Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, American Bully, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, and also the American Bulldog.
These are the breeds with the strongest bites. Although they can be sweet dogs, the dog owner needs to be experienced in handling dogs. After all, these were trained to be attack dogs, and fighting dogs and their dog bite can be dangerous.
Since the pitbull dog breed consists of large, heavy dogs weighing almost 55 to 70 pounds (25 to 32 kilos), they are capable of exerting a lot of bite force when they bite an individual. Their muscular build and powerful jaws further exacerbate this bite force. Imagine this bite force on a child or elderly person! The bite force is enough to cause limb loss, disfigurement, and permanent damage.
No wonder pitbulls are stereotyped as dangerous dogs. The American kennel club does not recognize this particular breed. However, we must remember that this breed of dog is inherently loyal and affectionate. With the right environment, training, and socialization, we can prevent pitbull attacks.
Also Read: How to Train an Aggressive PitBull
Can a Pitbull Bite Break Bones?
Yes, experts have seen several cases where pitbull bite force has broken human bones. The 235 psi rating indicates that a pitbull can easily tear or puncture the skin and crush bones in multiple places. Furthermore, these heavy dogs can easily make a human being fall down, which can further result in fractures.
Dog Bites – What Happens If a PitBull Bites You?
If a pitbull bites you, you could suffer serious injuries that can be life-threatening. Depending on the angle of the bite force and the dog’s weight, as well as the intention behind the bite, a pitbull could tear or puncture the skin. The bite force could also crush the bones and cause severe fractures.
If the bite is not too deep, please wash it with some warm water and antibacterial soap. If it is bleeding, please seek medical attention immediately.
After cleaning the wound, keep the bite site elevated to stop the bleeding. If needed, wrap a clean bandage around the bite along with some antibiotic cream.
If the pitbull is not vaccinated, you may want to get the anti-rabies vaccine. You’d also need the tetanus vaccine to prevent the life-threatening infection.
How is a Dog’s Bite Force Calculated?
Several factors influence a dog’s bite force. As mentioned before, the dog’s weight, size of the jaws, and overall muscularity impact the pressure or the bite force it can exert.
The skull structure and size and shape of the dog’s teeth can also impact bite force. Similarly, one needs to account for the angle and bite style when calculating the dog’s bite force.
Bite force calculation also involves taking the surface hardness of the individual/object being bitten into account.
We must also understand that measuring a dog’s bite force accurately may involve sedating the dog and hiding sensors in its cheeks. All these measures cannot take into account the psychological factor of motivation behind biting. This, too, can impact the psi of the bite force.
Which Dog Has the Strongest Bite Force?
The Rottweiler is one of the breeds with the strongest bite force, according to Tim Lewis, PhD, author of the book Biology of Dogs, followed by the German Shepherd and the American Pit Bulls Terrier.
Here is a list of dog breeds and their bite forces in psi:
Bite Force of Popular Breed of Dogs
- Rottweilers – 328 psi
- German shepherds – 238-291 psi
- American pitbull terrier – 240-330 psi
Some rare, lesser-known breeds also have very high bite forces. These include:
- Dogo Argentino – 500 psi
- Dogue de Bordeaux – The Dogue de Bordeaux has a bite force of 556 psi.
- Staffordshire Bull Terrier – the Staffordshire bull terrier is a breed of dog with stronger bite force compared to other dogs. The psi is 328 which makes them great guard dogs compared to other breeds.
- Tosa Inu – Tosa inu has a 556 psi. It is one of the strong dogs that make excellent guard dogs with training.
- Cane Corso – With a bite force of 650-700 psi.
- Cordoba fighting dogs – these have a psi between 200-400, the Cane Corso is one of the strongest dog breeds with a strong bite force.
- Bandog – this large breed has a 730 psi (no wonder because they are a cross between Mastiffs and American Pit Bulls) This breed of dog is known for its strong bite force.
- Kangal – The traditional working dogs of Anatolia have 743 lbs. per square inch bite pressure.
As can be seen these dangerous dog breeds with the strongest bite forces are often used in dog fighting.
Psi Rates of other Dog Breeds
- Dutch shepherds – Dutch shepherd is a high energy dog with one of the strongest bites. Dutch shepherds have a psi of 224 and this bite strength makes them excellent military and police dogs like German shepherds. The Dutch shepherd is also a fine domestic dog that can make a good watchdog and farm dog.
- Labrador retrievers – A Labrador retriever makes an excellent guard dog and working dog compared to other breeds. Labrador retriever has a dog bite strength or psi of 230. However, this popular dog is not an aggressive breed despite being a muscular dog breed.
- Staffordshire bull terrier – As mentioned before these have a bite force of 328 psi. But they still make great family pets.
- American bulldog – The American bulldog has a loyal and protective nature but its bite force rating is 305 psi.
- Siberian husky – the Siberian husky has a dog bite force of 320 psi giving it a strong bite. This working dog makes an excellent family pet.
Please note that these PSI ratings are approximate and can vary among individuals within each breed.
Psi of Other Animals
Other animals like cats have psi of 70. The saltwater crocodile has a powerful bite force of 5000 psi! The hippopotamus also has a powerful bite of 1800 psi.
Also read: Are German Shepherds Aggressive?
How Much Force Can a Pitbull Pull?
Considering the pit bulls size, one would think it could pull a lot of weight. In reality, there are other dog breeds known to pull heavier loads.
The Guinness Book of World Records enlists the Newfoundland as the strongest dog capable of pulling over 5,045 ½ pounds!
The average dog can pull three to four times their body weight. With proper training, some dog trainers have been able to successfully train their dogs to pull 40 times their body weight.
Since pitbulls weigh around 60 lb., we can expect them to pull around 100-150 lb. with ease. With proper training, they could pull around 2000 lbs!
FAQs – Pitbull Bite Force
What is the bite force of Rottweiler?
The average bite force of Rottweilers is 328 psi. This is the strongest bite force in domesticated dogs. However, do note that this can vary greatly from dog to dog.
What dog has 500 psi bite force?
Dogs like English mastiffs, Dogue de Bordeaux, and dogo argentino are both known to have 500 psi dog bite force.
How much bite force does a German Shepherd have?
What dog has 700 psi bite force?
Cane Corso dogs that weigh over 110 pounds could have one of the strongest bite force of over 700 pounds per square inch. Kangals and Bandogs also have bite force over 700 psi. They were originally bred for dog fighting. Today they all make excellent family dogs with careful training.
Which dogs make the best guard dogs?
Some of the best guarding dogs include domestic dogs like German Shepherds, Cane Corso, American pit bull, and Doberman Pinschers. German Shepherds are the number one choice in guard dogs duty. They also make great family pets.
Which dog has 600 psi bite force?
Doberman Pinschers are known to have one of the strongest bite force of almost 600 psi. They come in at the No. 4 spot as far as dog aggression is concerned. This large dog can make a great guard dog as well.
What dog has 650 psi bite force?
Dog breeds like Cane Corso, Doberman Pinschers, and Tosa Inu could reach bite forces of over 650 psi. Their strong bite can kill humans and wild animals.
Dog bites are dangerous, and pitbull bites are even more so. A strong bite from a dog can result in devastating injuries, disfigurement, and limb loss. However, not all pit bulls are aggressive, and one must not harbor prejudice against them.
We hope this guide gives you an understanding of pitbull bites and other dog breed bite force.